Are you a qualified and experienced Farmer Support Officer (FSO)? If so, Buhle would love to hear from you. We’re seeking a FSO based in Venda to advise and support our smallholder farmers. Please read the job advertisement below carefully and send your CV with a covering letter to email@example.com by 26 January 2021. Only short-listed candidates will receive a reply.
Farmer Support Officer
Based in Vuwani, Venda
Salary: R15000 pm
The Farmer Support Officer’s (FSO) purpose is to support and advise smallholder farmers towards viable and sustainable farming enterprises. For this project in its third year, the key task is linking farmers to markets, through influencing the production process and negotiating on behalf of farmers. The FSO should have experience in all aspects of vegetable farming including value chain development. The project requires strict, ongoing monitoring and evaluation of the farming operations to ensure that the farmer is able to produce crops of high a quality. This project is suitable for a networker who pays attention to detail and who may already be familiar with local markets.
- Source and secure markets for the farmers produce.
- Create opportunities using farmers’ strengths, whilst developing against weaknesses.
- Ensure farmers maintain business solutions, such as bank accounts, maintain registered companies etc.
- Develop quality monthly reports and maintain a register of all projects supported by the Academy; monitor and report on the progress of these project.
- Attend market linkage forums with that aim of marketing the produce.
- Apply effective post–training follow-up support services for farmers.
- Capture relevant data from agricultural enterprises operated by the academy’s graduates and/or farmers involved in other Buhle Farmers’ Academy projects.
- Carry all responsibility of the academy’s scope of activities and contribute towards successful support of emerging farmers.
- Develop business plans and seasonal marketlinked production plans for project farmers.
- Monitor all productions and outputs in quantity and quality at all farms.
- Research farmer training needs, to align with new age and climate smart approaches.
- Establish and retain good relations with all farmers supported by the academy as well as stake holders of the academy in order to encourage good standings between BFA and all role players
- Initiate new projects and recruit individuals for Buhle’s farmer support and training programmes
- Create profiles to show case farmer success stories
Qualification and experience Requirements
- 3 years’ Experience in Farmer Support or market-link environment;
- Proven experience in linking farmers to markets;
- A technical background in agriculture is essential;
- Degree or Diploma in Agriculture (Preferably Plant Production)
- Experience with online markets;
- Must have advanced problem solving skills team player and independent thinker;
- Must reside in Venda;
- Fluent in speaking Venda and business English;
- Drivers licence with experience in driving in rural terrain;
- Ability to work in a team as a good communicator and learner;
- Own car will be an added advantage.
- Project Management Skills
- Report Writing skills
- Business Plan writing skills.
- Planning and Coordination
- Knowledge of direct marketing
- Ability to build trust relationships, loyalty and satisfaction.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to meet deadlines in a goal-oriented environment.
- Problem solving skills.
- Negotiation skills
- Trustworthiness when working on their own.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Closing Date: 29 January2021
Only shortlisted applicants will receive further correspondence. If you have not received a response within 2 weeks of submitting your application, please regard your application as unsuccessful.